Enedis and local distribution companies (LDCs)

As managers of public electricity distribution across 5% of mainland France, local distribution companies (LDCs) are major features of the French energy landscape. For Enedis, they are very important partners.

An identical role in different territories

LDCs are responsible for public service electricity distribution over approximately 5% of mainland France. Enedis is the public service distribution subcontractor for the other 95%.

The LDCs and Enedis perform the same public service duties in their respective service areas.

LDCs: major partners for Enedis

LDCs play an essential economic role, are organised into federations, and maintain close relationships with local elected officials. Sharing common interests, they are Enedis’s essential partners. As such, LDCs and Enedis  regularly work together on subjects such as the creation of regulatory or legal documents.

Enedis and the LDCs also maintain corporate relationships within the context of the electricity distribution network users committee, or CURDE (Comité des Utilisateurs du Réseau de Distribution d’Électricité). The committee provides a venue for discussion and exchange on issues concerning access to networks installed by Enedis. It brings together several groups of distribution network users, such as ELD representatives, as well as suppliers, producers and consumers.

LDCs: various situations

The 160 LDCs in France provide electrical cover for:

  • 5% of the population,
  • 5% of the land,
  • 5% of electricity consumption.

While similar in some ways, LDCs can differ significantly from one company to another. For example, LDCs can be:

  • controlled by local-authorities,
  • companies with various statuses such as public companies, limited companies and others.

Also, in terms of size, some LDCs may serve several dozen delivery points, whereas others can handle over a million.